Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Tango for the Guinness World Record Next Weekend!


Last week I attended my first Tango "practice" dance class. It's not an ordinary class by any means - our community is attempting to capture the Guinness World Record for the Largest Dance by Couples next Saturday, February 21st. We need 1100 couples (or 2200 people) to dance the tango for five minutes straight to win. For all the details please click this link Tango Decatur

The only bad part is that I have never tangoed and my only knowledge of the tango has been gleaned from movies, most noteable among those True Lies with Arnold Schwarzenegger. When the instructor asked the class what we knew I said "the man drags the woman across the ground at some point, right?" to which he laughed uproariously. Fine. I'm an idiot. After that faux pas I didn't dare say anything about the transfer of the stem of a rose from one mouth to another.

I did a pretty good job, if I do say so myself. We have a basic step, a step with a rocking thing in the middle and then a step that has the man swerve the side and we follow. Anyway, we don't have to do all the fancy steps, just the basic one over and over. For five minutes. I'm guessing it's going to be the longest five minutes of my life. I'll give you all the details after the event.

No comments: