Sunday, February 15, 2009

I'm tired of all the stupid things that keep happening to me...and somebody had better do something about it!

A couple of weeks ago I posted about being pissed after learning I had shingles that were released in my system by the chemotherapy treatments I underwent to treat my breast cancer. At the end of the post I jokingly said "what's next, leprosy?" or something like that. Well, no, not leprosy. Just clumsiness.

A couple of days ago I was hurrying to switch clothes from the washer to the dryer and bring dry clothes up from the basement while on the way to work. As I grabbed the basket and started to make my way to the foot of the stairs, I tripped over the outdoor extension cord that was lying on the floor. I didn't remember that it was there and, of course, in my haste I just fell over. I twisted to the side on the way down, thinking I could set the basket down and possibly save myself. Instead I ended up going down on my side and hitting the back of my head on the edge of the door jamb. Hard.

I lay there for a minute, reliving the sound of the wood crunching under the impact of my head and also thinking that almost every accident I have ever had in my life (and there have been a number of them) were the result of my hurrying. When I was 18 I fell down the stairs of my apartment building and hit my chin on the concrete, causing a cut that required 10 stitches. When I was a lot older, I fell down the stairs here at home, hurrying to work again, and broke my nose on the closed door I hit when I landed on my face - that required surgery to repair. When we were moving my daughter's furniture to Chicago I hurried out the front door to get in the truck and tripped over a newspaper that had been delivered, breaking my ankle. There have been a few more, but I think you get the idea.

I got out the ice and made a pack that I left on the very large bump for 4 hours. Thanks to that treatment, the bump was very small the next day, but it is still painful. Maybe I need that as a reminder.

I...need...to...slow...down. Seriously. Before I kill myself.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Oh my goodness!!! What you need is a vacation, or maybe a house arrest or something.

Or.. how about a song?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoWF2YalYvI