Sunday, March 15, 2009

Nathan Gunn and The Firebrand of Florence

Oh, how I wish I could have been there to see this! Susan from I'd Rather Be Sleeping... went and said it was wonderful.

Yesterday a number of reviews and stories were published in various outlets/sites that included photos. Here are a few of them:

Nathan Gunn Singing His Wittle Heart Out


A Close-up of our Hero


At the After Party with the rest of the Cast/Company


Our Hero Looking Cute


The coolest part of the last couple of pictures is that Nathan was wearing those clothes when Susan had her picture taken with him backstage - check that out on her blog that I referenced above. Lucky Susan. Sigh.

I was disappointed to learn that the event was not recorded and that the conductor or director indicated that it was because a recording already existed. Yeah, from the 1945 production! I'm not buying that, sorry. You have a large number of artists, probably all with different representation for a one night only event...I'm guessing no one could come to terms financially more than that it was already recorded.

It's truly a shame, though. I don't know this music at all and the chance that I will ever hear it is even more remote than ever. Too bad.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Ha! If it weren't for those clothes you wouldn't know it was him - half his head is cut off in my picture. And don't be envious. I wasn't feeling so lucky, more like, how far did I just jam my foot in my mouth, ok, I'll smile and pretend to be thrilled when at that point I was ready to run away. Notice there is no squeezering there... But yes, the performance was wonderful, and that's what really counts.

Regarding the availability of a recording, well, as you know I am a collector, not a recorder. If a recording of the event comes my way, trust me, I know what (not) to do. I don't record!! I've never recorded anything! I swear! Oops sorry ranting.