Thursday, March 19, 2009

Natasha Richardson - What a Shame


I didn't know Natasha Richardson, nevertheless I feel incredible sadness over her death. That something so inconsequential as a fall can do such serious damage is hard to grasp. I myself have fallen and hit my head a number of times - and recently - with no lasting ill effects.

When I was a child, a neighbor boy fell off his bike and hit his head on the curb of the street. He was fine, we (and he) thought. He went home later in the day, complaining of a headache but had no other symptoms, so no one was overly concerned. Next morning he was found dead in his bed. It sounds like this is the same cause of death as for Richardson - the "talk and die" syndrome.

I think about her young sons and her husband and hope that they will get through this devastating time okay. Although is anyone ever really okay when a close relative dies? I still remember my father's death with sadness and I was a grown woman when that occurred.

Here's hoping that the people and the press give them all the time they need to come to terms with their loss.

No comments: