Saturday, March 21, 2009

Live from the Met in HD - La Sonnambula

Pre-show Image of Natalie Dessay


Producer Mary Zimmerman


More Pre-show Natalie Dessay


What to say about this production...hmm. To say it was a disappointment would be wrong. The singing was excellent, especially Juan Diego Florez. The staging, however, was abysmal.

The smartest thing done yesterday, however, was not to chance Mary Zimmerman taking a bow. I understand from other opera sites that she was roundly boo-ed (is that even a word?) on opening night and I'm thinking that they didn't want to take a chance of that happening here - there are encores to show yet and it would sort of make it difficult to see the producer/director getting booed. But she deserved it.

I have never seen a more incomprehensible version of a story. It wanted to be a play within a play, but if you did not know the story going in (Swiss village, sleepwalker ending up in the wrong bed), you would have never understood what was going on.

That said, the singing was wonderful. JDF was his usual excellent, Natalie Dessay was good if not superlative. One gripe about JDF - he jerks me from the story every single time he does his singing shrug, reaching for the notes. Can't stand that and now I'm poised, waiting for it to happen. Very annoying. I should have counted how many times he did that in the performance just to see if he can break a record or something. Next time - it's good to have a goal.

Fun moments - Jennifer Black as the suffering Lisa...she was a delight. Her acting was superb, her singing excellent. Her moment at the chaotic end of the first act was sublime - I laughed out loud at her antics.

JDF and Natalie Dessay singing on the spinning bed while standing - JDF caught himself as he began to topple over.

Michele Pertusi as the Count - excellent voice and acting. I could have been seduced by him myself.

I had an enjoyable time overall - the music was good and I can forgive the staging for that alone. Would I buy it if that particular performance was released on DVD? No.

The Cast Takes a Bow


Michele Pertusi curtain call


Juan Diego Florez curtain call


Natalie Dessay curtain call

No comments: